Re: [Harp-L] Re: Combs

My point about the siren was that the velocity of the siren, at least the
ones I have seen on firetrucks that spin, changes the frequency of the note
where on a harmonica the velocity does not effect the frequency, at least
within the range of human lung strength. So, in that way, it is not like a
siren.
Generally we are in agreement other than the fact that you appear to be much
more sure of your position even though there has been little scientific
study of the comparative level of sound production from the reed and the
"sound board" (reedplates and comb) of the harmonica. Be careful of your
arguments from silence. Lets remember that humility is key to winning
friends and influencing people.

While driving home today I was thinking about what a salesman did with my
brother in law when he bought his seagull guitar. To demonstrate the effect
of more finish on the guitar he put his hand on the sound board to show the
volume and tone difference resulting from adding something, like finish, to
the top. I am sure this is an analogy that is exagerated but I got out my
car aset of harmonicas and tried to play them with little hand contact and
felt the combs to see if they vibrated. (is this worse than talking on the
phone in the car?) In both metal and plastic I could feel no vibration in
the comb. On the other hand there was a volume and tone difference when I
removed my hand from the covers. Maybe we should spend more time on cover
material and design. Then my mind wandered to electric guitars and
resonance. And I wonder if that is a better analogy. The wood used on an
electric guitar effects the resonance of the strings. Might the comb
material have a similar effect? Again you may argue against it but all this
is hypothesis that is not tested.

And this conversation is going on and on. I am am continuing to contribute
Sorry. But if I think it in my car and nobody hears, did I really think it?

Derwood