[Harp-L] Combs

But which is more important, the player's subjective impression of tone or what the audience hears? I agree that if what the player hears is not satisfying, the performance will suffer. Other than that secondary effect, I think the most important thing, by far, is the audience's experience of the performance, not the performer's.

I used to play in a Latin acoustic band. We had a female vocalist for a time, and she was very good. One day, she arrived at a gig and announced that she had a terrible cold and felt lousy. I told her she would do fine and that the audience would probably never know. Her reply was that she felt really rotten and was not going to have any fun. I told her that it was much more important that she sound good than that she feel good. Her reply, which she delivered with obvious skepticism edging perhaps into hostility: "REALLY?" She was not with the group much longer.

If you play privately, your private enjoyment ought to be paramount. If you perform for others, I believe the enjoyment of your audience ought to be paramount. I do not believe that it makes even the slightest difference to your audience whether your comb is made of wood, metal, or concrete.

George