Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Comb material

In my opinion, the material the comb is made of makes NO DIFFERENCE to the
sound the audience hears!
I used to think:
Wood = warm
Plastic = medium
Metal = bright
I WAS WRONG!
Back in 1997, Vern Smith organized a comb material seminar.... at SPAH in  Det
roit, USA.
I was lucky enough to be the player. I played identical harps, made of many
different materials.
The audience COULD NOT TELL the difference.
They all sounded the same to them!
However, as the harmonicist, they all FELT quite different to  me.
I honestly prefer metal combs.
But not because they SOUND better,
They just tend to PLAY better.
Vern Smith PROVED to me, combs make a minimal effect on the SOUND of the
harp... But, of course, they DO effect the playability.
Best wishes
John "Whiteboy" Walden
London
England