Re: [Harp-L] Re: [HarpTalk] Playing at Jam Sessions

At blues jams, don't play at all between your solos.  The host and the other
jammers with think you are the best harp player on earth, and you'll sound a
lot better not feeling your way around another voice or instrument.  You
also will preserve all your best licks for your solo.

The ONLY time you should add "fills" around a vocal or instrumental solo is
after it has been rehearsed that way, with the understanding and permission
of the other artist.  Otherwise, it will sound like a blues jam, and you
will sound like another lame blues jammer.  But if you play very sparingly
and tastefully, you'll be a rock star.

And as for the song 40 Days and 40 Nights, I prefer the version on Muddy's
"Fathers and Sons" album, with Paul Butterfield on the harp.  Butterfield
also plays hard through the whole song, but he's Butterfield and we're not.
Many harp players at jam sessions give us all a bad name because they THINK
they are Paul Butterfield.

Wait for your solo.  Hit your good licks and wait for your next solo or for
the big ending.  You'll get lots of compliments, maybe even comparisons to
Paul Butterfield!

-Rick Davis

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:19 AM, John Balding <John.Balding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx