Re: [Harp-L] Re: [HarpTalk] Playing at Jam Sessions

I think playing at jam sessions is almost a separate skill. I play harp in a trio (acoustic guitar, bass, and harp, all played through the PA) and that's a completely different approach than when I sit in at a jam session.
In our trio, I play a lot of rhythm harp, little fills and I solo on various songs. We are not a blues band, but play more country/country rock/folk. We might play a James Taylor song (Fire and Rain, Y ou've Got a Friend) or a Carrie Underwood song (Before He Cheats). I have gradually worked out my harp parts over the past year. On Before He Cheats (which I think is in Eminor) I play a C harp, for example.
At a jam session, i usually play a lot more aggressively, a bit more of a "show-off" style than when in the band situation.
So, whatever works for each player seems to me the best course. I have yet to find a "right" way to play harp in any situation,.
Steve Webb in Minnesota