To: "Harp-L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:46 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Combs

At the risk of provoking the scorn of those with a divergent opinion I'd like to sketch my own experience with combs made of different materials:

During the last couple of years in the course of my work for Hohner I've made fairly exhaustive tests comparing combs made of various woods and other materials, using Marine Band Deluxe reed plates and covers due to the ease of assembling and disassembling them. I not only compared identical instruments fitted with different combs, but also swopped the reed plates so I could hear the same comb with a different set of plates in order to eliminate possible differences in reedplate quality. In addition I regularly play many of these instruments on stage, often swopping harps in mid song to see if there's a difference or to switch to one whose sound and playing feel I prefer. I hear and perceive distinct differences not only between different woods but also between wood and plastic, and also between woods treated with different finishes. I haven't been able to conduct tests using identical reedplates and covers with metal combs, but my experiences with various harps fitted with metal combs lead me to believe there is definitely a difference. A Hohner Meisterklasse MS will sound slightly different with a wooden or plastic comb and it will certainly feel different. Try it yourseof - the parts are compatible after all. These tests have led me to clear personal preferences. It's true that the outside listener might not notice any difference, because we're talking about nuances here, but I certainly notice enough difference to make me switch from one to another in the middle of a song in order to make my music sound the way I want it to sound to me. It's a moot point whether even a knowledgeable listener will be able to hear the difference between a Stradivarius and a medium priced violin, but believe me someone like Nigel Kennedy can, and that's why top violinists are prepared to pay astronomical prices in order to get one.

Elizabeth's point about possible toxicity is something I can only agree with. Many woods can cause allergic reactions and there are harmonicas on the market that I will not play for this reason,

Steve

Steve Baker
steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.stevebaker.de