Re: Re: [Harp-L] Re: questions about high keyed harps

Gary Popenoe wrote:
> Singing is the closest technique I have found to playing
> harmonica.  The main difference is that my vocal chords
> are out there just in front of my teeth.

I was playing a gig one Sunday with the jazz band, and our drummer's
wife, who is formally trained in voice and a very accomplished
vocalist, came up to me between sets and told me that she wanted to
learn to play the harmonica because it was the closest thing she'd
seen to singing.

I often times think of my playing as singing.  It helps me in
projecting the notes from the throat, and - in a more abstract sense -
in connecting the notes in my head to the notes coming from my
instrument.

-tim