Re: [Harp-L] More info about combs

----- Original Message ----- From: "J Compton" <jofjltn4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 2:24 PM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] More info about combs

Let me fire the first salvo in opposition to the conclusion of that study:

"Lay on McDuff, and damned be him who first cries, 'hold, enough.' "

Just because you don't think you hear a difference doesn't mean it isn't there.

The question is about a ~perceptible~ difference. Starlight is "there" in the daytime but it isn't perceptible.

I'm sure that no one wants to cover all of the old ground, discuss the acoustical theory anew, and repeat the comparisons. It is all in the harp-l archives. For a number of years, things have stood about like this:

* Various musicians, especially those who sell combs of exotic material, continue to claim that comb materials have a perceptible effect on harmonica tone. They cite testimonials and anecdotal evidence. Some people believe them. The materials analogy with stringed instruments remains powerful, even if unwarranted.

* Acoustic theory does not support such a claim.

* Public comparisons under controlled conditions at SPAH in '97 and at Buckeye in '98 failed to support such a claim. The Buckeye comparisons were designed to answer criticisms of the SPAH event. I organized the SPAH comparison but was not present at the Buckeye one.

* I have offered (and still offer) a $1000 wager that no one can reliably discriminate among different comb materials....
.......... in a set of otherwise identical harps
...........in a public comparison
...........from the sound of the harps alone.

If you can do it, you can win the $1000 and (better yet) see me "eat crow" !

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com