From: Tom Halchak <thalchak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:02:27 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Comb material

On the subject of comb material - I am curious about the pros and cons of
making combs out of different types of wood.  We all know that the wood
combs on Marine Bands swell up when they get wet and become uncomfortable to
play, so we migrate to the plastic combs of the Special 20's or the Golden
Melodies.  But what about other types of wood like oak or mahogany or ebony
or maple or elm or others?  Has anybody ever experimented with using these
or other types of wood?  I know that Seydel has a harmonica the appears to
be made entirely of wood, but I haven't pulled the trigger and purchased
one.  I have also looked at the brass combs made by Chris Reynolds at
builderofstuff.com.  His workmanship is impressive but still I wonder about
a more economical option.  I have a friend that owns a woodworking shop with
some very high end computerized (we are talking $200,000 pieces of
equipment) milling equipment.  I've seen these things in action and they are
amazing - totally computerized, very precise.  He also happens to be a harp
player and an inventor who hold a few patents.  I'm sure I could get him to
make some combs for me.  If anybody has some suggestions or comments I'd
like to hear them.  If I can identify an ideal material and can get this set
up I would probably be willing to send some combs out to those of you who
are interested so you can have an opportunity to try them.  No promises, but
I am thinking that once the computer program is set up the cost of material
won't be much - it's a little piece of wood!  If I can make it happen, and
it doesn't cost me too much I would be happy to send out some samples for
field testing.  I would love to hear from you.

Tom H

Clearwater, FL

Database version: 5.10710e
http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor/