Re: [Harp-L] tuning permanent blue thirds

Second position? The blow E is the 6th and flattening it would give you an augmented 5th. If you're talking about first position, then flattening the Es would give you a flat third, but it would also limit you to minor chording, and the inability to get the major 3rd, which is always present in all major blues (that's about 95% of blues I reckon)
When the IV chord is being played, flattening the E on a C harp gives you (in first position) the flat seventh of the IV chord.
This is the same effect as flattening draw 3 in second position.
I have never played around with the LO Melody Maker, but that instrument is, I believe, set up with something similar in mind; to have the flat third of second position present as a natural note.
You will gain something, of course, but lose something else.
RD

>>> "hazcon" <hazcon@xxxxxxxxxx> 16/09/2008 12:26 >>>
I am sure that im not the first one to think about this but i'd like some
opinions on the pros and cons.
 To set up (say) a C harp for purely pentonic blues in 2nd position only,
why not drop the blow E notes down to give a permanent blue third.(not a
whole semitone)
                 Or maybe just on blow 8?
I mean the pure E seems to be basically unused right through the 1 1V V
progressions.
Thoughts?
Rick
inNZ