Subject: [Harp-L] My Misty and Warren "whitebread" Bee

Chris...I had no idea you were the one who made the comment  about Warren's
playing. He did make it clear the comment was personal and  private and never
divulged his friend's name....and again, he made sure we knew  the comment was
from a friend, not just a list member putting in their two  cents to be
thought of as 'knowledgeable'.

(Apologies for my comments always seeming late out of the gate, but I get
the list in Digest form, and am still dealing with a shoulder fracture..making
it tough to type)....

 Knowing it was you makes it even more clear that your critique  was done in
absolute honesty and taken out of context, somewhat...probably my  fault since
from someone else it might have meant something entirely  different.  I was
only a tiny bit concerned that he might take  it negatively despite his
protestations, so was hastening to assure him how  much I enjoyed his playing of this
song...

But coming from you, it means exactly what you meant it to mean, and I know
he hasn't reacted negatively at all.  ;)  I've gotten to know you well  enough
to know your language/phrasing may be a tad 'unusual' at times to others  who
don't get you, but your heart is pure and your honesty above reproach..
calling it as you always see it, especially when it comes to music and  musicians.

I understand your hearing the differences in Warren's blues playing
(especially when he really lets loose in a Spah blues jam), compared to what he  did
in this recording.  I had the luxury of hearing him play Misty to a  couple of
different backing tracks here at my home when he was still  feeling a trifle
tentative about this 'new direction'.  I especially  enjoy that he has no fear
of trying out different genres though, playing  all kinds of music for all
kinds of audiences and doesn't limit himself to  being solely a 'blues' guy,
despite his love for blues.  He's  someone after your own heart (mine too).

The world of music is so huge...why NOT explore it?..so I  truly appreciate
your take on that...as well as the idea that one should  listen to other
instruments rather than restricting oneself to always copying  other harmonica
players' licks. Warren has a completely unique approach to  playing, doing
everything pretty much differently than anyone else I  know...something that I
especially appreciate.

After a second listen to the recording, I can definitely hear the  difference
if only in his 'more carefully' choosing his notes/direction,  which doesn't
at all take away from the sweetness and melodiousness of his  playing (which
we most definitely agree on). 'Blues' Warren is just  a wee bit of a different
cat from 'Jazz' Warren, if only in his  professionalism and control   ;)

It's an accomplished, polished performance I'd be very happy to have in my
repertoire, and I'm very glad he's trying out this new direction since it's
where I'm headed too, even if 'only' on chromatic.  Since he's  practically a
neighbour, hopefully he can give me some pointers when we next get  together.

Elizabeth

Message: 4