[Harp-L] Madcat & Triple Play!

I went to see our friend Madcat last night in Freeport, NY. What an AMAZING
performance all three members of the band put on. This show was part of a
community concert series that has a long 60+ year history. You could tell
that by the average age in the crowd of around 300-400 people. Let's put it
this way, at my ripe age of 50 I felt VERY young last night. I doubt if
there were 10 people younger than I in that high school auditorium. While I
really love and embrace our senior citizen community I must say it was so
sad to not see more young folks at this show. Freeport, NY is metro NYC. My
guess is that within just a 10 mile radius hundreds more would have attended
if they knew the firepower and magic that was on that stage tonight.

I am very familiar with Madcat's solo stuff and his duo with the lovely
Shari Kane but I had yet to experience the Triple Play side of Mr. Ruth.
Well the show started with "Take Five" and it went into the stratosphere
from there. The Brubeck influence is way cool. Chris is a monster,
especially on the trombone! The guitar playing of Joel Brown was solid as a
rock and beautiful as well. Madcat just blew me and everybody in the
audience away. To hear him tear up each and every tune with his "special
sauce" was spectacular. Bottom line, if you haven't checked out Triple Play
yet do yourself a favor and get jiggy with it. I am so sorry that it took me
so long to see this third dimension of one of my favorite harp players.

I actually got to come up on stage and join the show for a tune. I wasn't
personally asked to come up onto the stage I just barged up like a bull in a
china shop. No, no, no I wasn't pulling a "gus". You see they were looking
out over the audience for some help on a number. I knew exactly what they
were looking for because I saw Madcat do this thing in St. Louis at the blow
off. You recently may have seen the same number on one of Madcats posted
youtubes. The problem was that this geriatric audience wanted no part of
coming up on stage for anything! The few youngsters in the front row had no
interest as well. After what seemed like forever with no response I had to
take matters in my own hands and offer my assistance. I had the great
pleasure of handing Madcat the contents of his box of musical noisemakers
one at a time while he did his wild multi-dimensional solo thing. He tore
the house down with that performance. It was so cool being the guy picking
out the gadgets. In my own way I was directing the song. Since I knew the
drill I picked each one with care before handing it off to the master. Of
course I saved the big squeaky fish for just before the double party whistle
noisemaker finale!

So in conclusion, I must say that I had a great time last night. Being the
PR/ spin master guy that I am I can now add to my resume that I have been on
stage with the Madcat and  a member of the legendary Brubeck family. Boy am
I one cool dude.

WB