Re: Subject: [Harp-L] My Misty

On Sep 13, 2008, at 5:16 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

Well, Warren...what can I say? I was one of those privileged to have heard it 'before'...and already told you I really liked your version. You nailed the one part you'd previously had a wee bit of difficulty with.

The reason he had difficulty with it was because he was using my new 'A' spl-20 and it wasn't even 'likely' set up for someone as accomplished as Warren. It's hard to be fluid with a tight new spl-20 right out of the box. I had just purchased it the day before.

..we'd played this together at my house (me on chromatic of course)....and how you managed to get it from there to here in such a short time is simply astonishing.

One thing we've always said (anyone who talks about you behind your back ;) ...is that you're an amazingly 'sweet' player, quite catching people by surprise, when one maybe expects something different from such a big guy with a doo rag. Perhaps that's what your friend meant, just phrased it badly?

I understood what he meant and I was only teasing. Just got back from the gig and it seemed that tonight, out of 23 tunes, about 10 were special requests for me to do tunes. I'm sure that if Warren had been there, he would have had FIFTEEN requests. He and Ben Nathanson have something that few others have.

You also played Misty at that last Open Mic right before the Spah meeting Sat. afternoon....(and right after I'd shook in my shoes playing onstage for the second time ever). You sounded great then too. Sure calmed ME down, hearing you play this gorgeous song with no backup; people getting set up for the meeting, talking..didn't matter.

What are you talking about Elizabeth. You did the same thing. Playing like a little bird with a broken wing. You've lost your stage fright. You've been outed.

smo-joe

You just went up and played it cold (and the audience cheered and applauded how beautifully it was played on diatonic, knowing what they were hearing).

SmoJoe's correct..Phil's review is stellar....you played it as it 'should' be played: clean, jazzy, sweet and emotional. 5 stars from me :)

Elizabeth
P.S. Yay for the 'standards'....maybe we can practice a couple more of those together...and double Yay...for your new 'musical territory' which is mine too...