RE: [Harp-L] Advice for a rookie - sort of

John Balding" wrote:
<For a good, basic introduction to the world of amplified harp, I would
<suggest the Epiphone Valve Junior combo.

Good advice.  Even better, I think is, the Epiphone Valve Junior half-stack with a 12" speaker cab.  About $250 new, I've heard some very convincing stuff out of that rig.

I see that Sam Ash is still blowing out Crate tube amps--the V5 for $129, the V18 for $149.  Either one of those should do the job nicely.

In any case, the advice to start with a small all-tube amp is good advice.  It'll alwyas be a useful piece of gear, and it'll be plenty loud enough to start with.  The Crate amps have line-outs that you can take to a PA if you want to get louder.

With good new gear going for that kind of money, it doesn't make a lot of sense to cruise the pawn shops for an amp that might or might not do the job.

Regards, Richard Hunter
latest mp3s and harmonica blog at http://mysapce.com/richardhunterharp