[Harp-L] Taking the Bob Dylan discussion on a bourbon-soaked tangent

It's funny how certain subjects seem to be on a fixed rotation on Harp-L.  I remember getting lambasted for publicly expressing my dislike for Dylan's harp playing a couple of years ago.  The arguments were all about his song writing, his mass appeal, and the impact he had on the generation.  My argument:  "It just sounds ugly to me".  (emphasis on: "TO ME")

I read Richard Hunter's post, and totally dug it.  Then I read Chris M's post, totally agreed with it, and then I was sitting at home watching Dire Straits clips on youtube.  Many people claim that Knopfler is in the same songwriting vein as Dylan or Springsteen.  OK, so I saw The Boss once, and the show was really good.  I sing Glory Days to myself, or Quinn the Eskimo from time to time, but I don't own any Springsteen or Dylan Material.  Why?  I don't really like em.  To me, they're harmonica abusers, and I just can't enjoy what they do to the instrument I love.

Then I realized why I love Mark Knopfler so much.  He can play the heck out of the guitar.  There's no question of defending his weakness with his strength.  He goes out there and just kills it.  I think I like it better when people are really good at what they do for an audience.  But that's my opinion eh?  There's plenty of room on the planet for everyone else, so please don't attack me.  It's just a net   forum after all.

bonus harmonica content. . . not that anyone cares. . . I am hitting the 6OB much more consistently and musically lately.  Still can't do it onstage though.  Must'nt be ready yet.

dan g.