Re: [Harp-L] "Out of Africa"? Blues Notes & Microtonality

African musics probably influenced the blues and came across with the slaves. But there are a number of complications. First, there are many different music styles in Africa. Slavers deliberately mixed people from different cultures together to make it harder for them to plan a revolt, so whatever arrived and formed on the plantations etc will have been some simplified combination of different musics. Second, African musics are often polyrhythmic and do not rely upon fixed tone or harmony as much as standardised western music. Tuning could sometimes be a matter of taste; to what extent varied with the music. Arabic music does not exactly use "quarter tones" but microtones. There are rules (in Indian music too) for playing specific scales, but exactly the same notes do not necessarily crop up in each scale, furthermore it is permitted to vary the pitch of some notes some of the time.

Whether any of this influenced the blues that much I do not think is clear. What is clear is that the intervals and harmonic rules of standard western music are arbitrary. They sound nice because people are trained to hear them sounding nice. Folk musics tend to deviate from those rules. For example, many folk musics tend towards the pentatonic. Consequently, folk musics often have quite a lot of common ground - the Scottish modern folk group have collaborated rather nicely with African (Malian I think) singers on "Beautiful Wasteland" for instance and, indeed, the Scottish and Irish musics probably influenced the blues too because people play and sing what they hear, whether that is of their ancestors or not. A friend of mine who was an ethnomusicologist described people in Africa hiding their transistor radios when the ethnomusicologist came to the village, so they could profitably show off their 'traditional' music, as expected, without being asked about their love of the Jackson 5.

Richard