Re: [Harp-L] Bagpipe Harp

Dirk writes:

> I have a question concerning the layout, what is the idea of tuning down the
> B to Bb in the C Version? Tuning the blow and draw reeds to both C and G is
> a great idea for imitating the drones, and a Cmajor Scale would seem logical
> to me, but if you change B to Bb you get a F major or C 7 scale. Is this
> closer to bagpipes, or is it because of the Gm chord?
> Regards,
> Dirk

Dirk,
It will allow you to play in G minor, specifically the G dorian scale.
 But what it really does is bring a mixolydian feel to C major,
slightly bluesifying the sound.

Playing in F major would place the drone on the 5th, which would sound
pretty good, and the 2nd which I would have to play around with before
I said if I liked it or not.  Great idea!
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com