[Harp-L] Bob Dylan as harmonica player

I've seen Bob Dylan in the last couple of years, and everything I hear him play on the harp falls into the category of "why bother?", but I would like to point out that at one time he put down some good, if not great rack harp in the tradition of Woody Guthrie and Ramblin Jack Elliot. His first album, with the (reversed) photo of a 19 year old Bob Dylan, titled Bob Dylan, produced by John Hammond, Sr. has a number of tight harp interludes and solos with a fierce driving rhythm. It is not everyones cup of tea, but if you like the vibe of Woody Guthrie, this recording has a lot of it. By the way, Woody Guthrie plays some harmonica on the Library of Congress recordings that has a very right on feel, especially when he does a train imitation. Not virtuoso stuff, but a haunting and evocative vibe. When I listen to these recordings, i feel like I am going back to one of the wells that I draw from.

Thats my 2 cents!

Richard Sleigh

shop address:
205 E. Pine Street