Re: [Harp-L] Brass vs Stainless Steel

On Sep 6, 2008, at 12:34 AM, Vern Smith wrote:

About 130 years ago, Hermann Helmholtz devoted a whole chapter (60 pages of fine print) of his book on musical acoustics, "On the Sensations of Tone" to temperaments. He doesn't even mention a harmonica.

Ok, sounds like about 1878. Like 50 years after the harmonica was 'supposedly' invented.

.............I mean, I like explanations as well as the next guy, but some of this stuff is way deep and (frankly) over my head.

I suspect that it is lack of interest more than lack of ability to understand.

Bingo, after careful thought, you're right....as usual. :)

I once quizzed a failing high school student about a motorcycle that quickly passed through an intersection two blocks away. He knew the make, model, engine displacement, drive train details, etc. because motorcycles interested him and his schoolwork did not.

Bingo... again............you win............a cookie

smo-joe (aka James Polyester)

Vern Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com

!DSPAM:5614,48c2085030504140817901!