[Harp-L] Re: Endorsements

Referring to the MB Deluxe, Joseph Bernard wrote:

<one must wonder who Hohner is marketing the Marine Bands to>
snip
<I can't imagine that the price of a Marine Band Deluxe is any reflection of the increased cost to Hohner, rather than recognition that Hohner is competing with harmonica technicians like Dave>

To make my own position clear, I was was personally responsible for persuading Hohner to make an updated version of the Marine Band and was closely involved with the development of the MB Deluxe. I play them on around 100 live shows every year.

On the first point: a survey among members of the German online group Jack Black in Spring 2008 revealed that 20% of all players polled named the MB Deluxe as their favorite harp, topped only (just) by the Special 20 and way ahead of any other model or brand. So I would say we're marketing it to harmonica players who are looking for a high quality wooden comb traditional harp which plays well out of the box and is easy to maintain thanks to the screw assembly. One of my intentions when developing this model was to save customizers the tedious task of drilling holes, bending covers, fitting screws and the like, so they could concentrate on the real work.

Second point: the additional features (sealing and beveling the edges of the comb, fitting the reed plates for screws, buying new tools to open up the covers, brass jacket cover plate screws) added a considerable amount to the production costs and were reflected in the price. When the MB Deluxe was introduced in early 2005, a standard MB in Germany was listed at EUR 25 and the Deluxe was priced at EUR 40. I would say that's a fair mark-up considering the extra work involved,

Steve

Steve Baker
steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.stevebaker.de