From: IcemanLE@xxxxxxx <IcemanLE@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Enharmonics
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, September 4, 2008, 11:20 AM

whew, this is the pundit/exception stuff - makes for interesting reading,
though.

<<Using one system as the standard to make what sounds like a value
judgment
of another system seems inappropriate.>>

Reminds me of the old joke:

Jewish mother bought her son two shirts for his birthday. He says "Thanks,

Mom. I'll try them on". He goes upstairs and puts on a shirt, comes
down to
show  her and says "What do you think?" She replies "The other
shirt you didn't
like?"

Point being, we all need a reference point from which to judge - no  matter
which point we choose, it is easy for someone else to say "The other
shirt you
didn't like?".

While this could be a true statement, what's the point besides punditing
in
to an argument? And what would the point of the argument be besides differing
points of view?

I would put forth that the JI harmonicas, the 3rd and 7th sound out of tune
to the ear of those who are used to the sound of ET. They will sound a little
flat.

Whose ears are used to the sound of ET? Why, I'd venture to guess about 99%

or more of those on this list.

However, to preface all comments and/or statements with a total disclaimer
about all the exceptions that exist, alternate tunings that are possible,
alternate realities that a few live in seems somehow ponderous and unnecessary
get the "meat" of the information across simply and cleanly.

I'll agree to stand corrected by those that wish to be the "ultimate
proper
dissemination of all knowledge police" (UPDAKP), but I'll still post
based on
our common denominator which includes coming from the place of ET as my
first reference point.

And, I'm not afraid to say that a lot of old traditional blues,  (guitar
tunings, harmonica notes, some singing) do, to my ears, sound out of  tune. Not

bad, mind you, but out of tune.

Thanks for the interesting extra info and offering your own personal
reference point, Winslow.

The Iceman

In a message dated 9/4/2008 12:28:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,