[Harp-L] Re: Enharmonics

Iceman wrote:

"I should have stated Equal Temperament in my comment - after all, that is
the evolved system used for our Western (as opposed to Eastern) music these
days. "

Except that it's not. It is the most common system, used by many if not most instruments in Western formal music ("classical", jazz), but by no means all. The strings are the biggest example of where 12TET is not necessary and so not always/often used. Even on keyboards while it is overwhelmingly the most common, it is once again no longer an exclusive by any means. Moist importantly, the enharmonics imposed by 12TET are not the basis of Western formal music theory, so to me learning and understanding theory includes learning why and how Cb and B differ, for example--and why they are only the "same frequency" in certain tuning systems.

Perhaps the most germane point is the one Tim made, that 12TET is not the traditional tuning for diatonic harmonicas, and while a common one today, still not the majority.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'