[Harp-L] Audacity for dummies?

Judging from some recent posts I´m not the only one having problems understanding Audacity. Admittedly my problems in understanding things related to the "digital" sphere are pervasive and it´s getting to be quite a bit of a handicap in this day and age.

  But still, it´s somewhat fantastic that with all the time and effort that must have gone in to creating a program such as this, NOTHING is done to make it user friendly. I spent several hours trying to get the slow downer function to work (was analyzing a Howard Levy solo) but gave up, disgusted and mad like hell, and had to retreat to Windows Media Player, which is easily understandable but performs poorly. (Yes, there is an Audacity manual, and I´m sure it´s great, provided you already knew the answer to what you were looking for, hence making it a bit un-necessary.)

  Question: Is there a manual somewhere for this program that takes into account that some people have been sort of "backing" into the digital age?
 (Being labelled a "dummie" because of this is something I can live with; I get around fairly well elsewhere in ordinary life -- and yes, some institutions of learning and thought have even at times considered me a downright resource!)

This wonders,
Martin