Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] playing sitting down (practicing)

On Sep 1, 2008, at 7:56 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

I will say the Jazz jams are usually 'stand-up' in front of a backing
trio...and the jazz players (whom I emulate) tend to play standing more often
than not even in their smaller groupings, sitting only when they're tired, run
out of steam,or in a constrained area.

Lately (at 'The Roadhouse'), I have taken to using a bar stool. I guess I'm getting old. But then again, OUR jazz is not the hard charging type as was played at spah. Where every tune seemed to be fast and furious. Since there is only John Chapman on baby grand, Ritchie Ianuzzi on drums and Nelson Medina on bass, and I am not competing with a raft of other instruments (since it's not a jam), we tend to play gentle volume/speed jazz (as per the Ice Purveyor's formula), for the dining crowd. Btw, they also like to dance.

smo-joe