From: EGS1217@xxxxxxx [mailto:EGS1217@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2008 6:56 PM
To: rhhammersley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bradford.trainham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] playing sitting down (practicing)

Hi Richard:

I'm far from being a 'pro'..and I play chromatics for the most part...but I
have to agree.  While I do 'play' and practice a lot sitting down (mainly
necessitated by being at my computer when a song/instrumental comes on the
computer radio I want to try)...when I do finally 'play' for real....i.e.
want to try out a song in its entirety or 'show my real stuff' to anyone
else (SmoJoe at this past Spah for instance...in order to figure out what
songs to pick to play together at Open Mic)..I absolutely have to stand up
for that; to get the full feeling of air in my lungs, and to be able to move
around (I tend to 'dance' a bit to the music when I play, really can't
imagine standing still..'planted' in place, as it were).

But then...at Spah Blues Jams...and Buckeye (where I witnessed my first
jam):  the normal set up is a big circle of chairs with mostly guys playing
mostly diatonics seemingly very comfortably (although the one Jazz chromatic
player who joined in the last night, Charles Spranklin...remained standing
for his turn).  Occasionally one will get up in the circle to play...clearly
one of those like you (and me)...but most players seem to have the ability
to produce everything they can do sitting down...and I've been quite envious
of that ability. The sitting circles do enhance the feeling of warm
camaraderie (no one person is ever 'The Star' in the blues jams..and it's
lovely).

 I will say the Jazz jams are usually 'stand-up' in front of a backing
trio...and the jazz players (whom I emulate)  tend to play standing more
often than not even in their smaller groupings, sitting only when they're
tired, run out of steam,or in a constrained area.

 It just gives me more energy, ability to use more 'body english' to play
standing up, somehow.  This is a topic I've remarked on before and found
very interesting. Appreciate your broaching the subject.

Elizabeth
P.S. Aside to Brad Trainham:  I do believe you're right:  pulmonary health
is a heckuva lot more important than a 10 pound weight gain...but then, most
women reading your post would probably agree that 10 pounds is
nothin'...when you start talking 'real' weight .. 30 - 40 lbs, then get back
to me ;)

"Message: 4