From: Richard Hammersley <rhhammersley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] playing sitting down (practicing)
To: "Harp-l L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, September 1, 2008, 3:30 PM

This reminds me
I was looking at SPAH videos on youtube. Folk are often sitting down.
Now I can play sitting down, but it is not easy to get the best
breath, tone or technique that way - someone mentioned opera singers a
while back, you don't see much singing seated. I try and practice
standing up - any views anyone?
Richard
On 1 Sep 2008, at 19:18, Bradford Trainham wrote:

> For me, practice is a combination of the things I already know how
> to do and
> a deliberate stretch to learn the newer things or to get the newer
> stuff
> down better.
> I don't know why, but I usually start off practicing by picking up
> my Marine
> Band 365, a lovable 14-hole harp with the air of the ungainly about
> it.
> I'll usually open up with some hybrid of the licks that would
> support the
> Band's version of Long Black Veil and the old Little Feat instrumental
> Lafayette Railroad. Even though the second song isn't in G and I'm

> playing
> of necessity on that harp in G, I love being able to milk those
> bends up to
> the major third on the draw three.
> After I've done that a while, I break a sweat and then, it's time
> pick up
> the Special 20's for the real practice.
> For some reason, then, those Special 20's seem so responsive, so
> reactive
> that the new stuff feels possible/doable.
> The bad side of my practice routine... Is that all my prize harps
> sit on a
> shelf next to an old rocking chair which my ex-wife inexplicably
> agreed to
> let me have.
> I found out two days ago.. .that I've gained ten pounds somewhere in
> the
> past six to seven months, a span of time which tellingly coincides
> with the
> evolution of this, my practice routine.
> Okay, so if I'm not exercising like I should, at least, that Marine
> Band 365
> is giving me a bit of a pulmonary workout, right?
> Brad Trainham

challenging,
> because I try to keep a lid on 'new' ideas as long as I can.  That

> way they
> finally burst out.
>
> It's also challenging to practice a rhythm lick at high speed for five
> minutes, but that seems to improve my accuracy, endurance and
> concentration
> every day, so it's worth it.
>
> A word on concentration.  I sense that the moment most of us put a
> harp in
> our mouth it becomes the main focus.  I don't have to try to
> concentrate on
> harp, do you?  In fact, I like getting input from an audience or the
> people
> in a control booth while I'm also focused on the harp.  But there are
> moments when I must exclude everything but the harp.  For instance
> when I'm
> asked to repeat a passage I just improvised.  That's when I need to
> put my
> concentration into fifth gear, and am glad that one can develop the
> facility
> to do so.
>
> One last bit: I sense that I am not the only one to experience
> something I
> call "Harp Face."  That is a moment in my practice session when
the
> muscles
> I use to play harp 'set' into a position that is apparently
optimal
> for harp
> playing, because everything really flows after that moment.
>
> Does anyone know what I mean about Harp Face?

Richard Hammersley
Grantshouse, Scottish Borders
http://www.last.fm/music/Richard+Hammersley
http://www.myspace.com/rhammersley