Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Goin' to Italy

Pardon me if I fail to see the harmonica relevance of this and related posts -- but Bob could rest assured that going to "Europe", and Italy in particular, should be regarded as considerably safer than browsing American city centers.
  Pickpockets is an annoying issue in some Italian cities, but at least they don´t carry guns.

Martin

From: David Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hey Bob, one more thought, you can get one of those belts with a zipper and pocket on the inside of the belt. That's where I kept my cash. I actually got mugged by a half-dozen guys in Budapest (in the Pest section) Hungary, and walked away with all my money (about $300) because it was inside the zippered belt. That, and I had a silver tongue. I traveled in Europe for three months alone, I've got a lot of experience in this department.

  Watch people looking over your shoulder when you pull out your wallet or card or something. I had to keep a very close eye, and doing so, whenever somebody was about to pull something in Europe, which was often, I'd turn around, get in their face and yell something like, "Hey buddy, somebody looks at me like that back home on Elk River, they either wanted to play mumbley pegs or get their a$$ whooped! You know how to play mumbley pegs?"
  Being assertive is key. The prowlers look for easy prey. Everybody who tried to rob me in Europe, was looking for easy prey, even the muggers in Budapest.  I was not easy prey. They never got me.
  If you are standing around and need to set your backpack or whatever down, put it between your feet or if you are sitting, put the strap around your foot. You should always be tethered to your property.
  Another thing, avoid overly-friendly strangers. Especially if they can speak more than two languages fluently, con men are usually completely fluent in french and English. Dress conservatively, don't wear anything that says "hey, I'm a goofy American tourist, I have money for the taking!" No jeans, no shorts, wear button-up shirts and some comfortable pants, like some dockers or something, never jeans. All my experience with robbery and whatnot was in the first month. I adapted.  I bought one of those wool Austrian coats without a collar, wore black pants like I mentioned above and this hat I got in Austria. Seriously, after I started dressing like an Austrian, I had zero problems for the remaining two months.

  Dave