[Harp-L] practicing

Had an interesting chat with a Berkley grad--he was talking about practice
being the place to push yourself, to play stuff you don't already know. I
think of practice as the place to cement what I already know--the goal being
to have the music be transcendent, have it just pour out without thinking
about it.

Neither side of the argument is wrong. There are folks where every gig is a
test, they're always pushing and playing a little above their ability, and
there's folks who really work on a core set of riffs and keep polishing
them, working on the nuances and the feel (Lightning Hopkins had what? two
riffs? they were wicked cool riffs though). I like it when the band is real
tight, but I also like that walking-on-a-tightrope feeling when we go into a
long jam and I'm just improvising and deliberately trying new riffs.

--
Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com