Re: [Harp-L] Bluegrass chromatic harmonica

David -

You playing reminds me a bit of Jimmy Riddle, who played harmonica with Roy Acuff in the '40s (later he switched to piano while Onie Wheeler took over harmonica) and made a couple of his own albums in, I think, the 1960s. He sometimes took an entire chorus on chromatic (Freight Train BLues and Tennessee Waltz with Acuff for instance), or else switched back and forth between second-position diatonic and chromatic played in either 1st position or 8th position (C# on a C chromatic). Sometimes his choice of keys seems to be based on the slide-in blow chord position of the chromatic he's using.

I think your approach is a little closer to Riddle's than to Naiditch's. Naiditch sounds like a mostly single note player with a bit of a jazz background who isn't really digging into chordal playing or into using the slide as a source of licks and ideas (or even phrasing; I don't hear him exploiting the E#/F or B#/C enharmonics to smooth out his phrases) as much as just a way of simply accessing the notes he wants to play. Your playing (and Riddle's) seems to proceed more organically from the harmonica itself.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa