From: Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:38 pm
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] "The Conversation"....Harmonica as a Second Language

IcemanLE@xxxxxxx wrote:
>I see this quite often with blues guitarists a la Stevie Ray. Bass and  drums
>just there to lay it down for LOTOFGUITARINYOURFACE for the most part.  Bass
>player and drummer are usually somewhat skilled in the basics but lack in
>imagination and are usually thrilled to have steady work. Those with more
>imagination usually quit as back up to this type of musician and search out
more
>creative release.

You're not talking about Stevie Ray's rhythm section here, right?  That rhythm
section had been together since the 1970s--they backed Johnny Winter on the
"Second Winter" album.  They certainly knew how to play behind a strong guitar
player.  I wouldn't say there's no imagination in what they're doing, either.
And I definitely wouldn't say they couldn't get another gig.

Playing with lame musicians sucks.  Doesn't matter whether they're guitar
players or kazoo players.  Of course, one could argue that there are more lame
guitar players out there than lame kazoo players.  On the other hand, I can
think of a lot of great guitarists, but I can't think of a single great kazoo
player.  (And if anyone knows of one, please don't tell me.)

Regards, Richard Hunter
latest mp3s at http://myspace.com/richardhunterharp