Re: [Harp-L] trying to expand the repetoire--warning rambling ahead

A pretty funky & not so hard Maceo Parker groove is "The Chicken" in
cross...
Fred Yonnet does a blisterin' tempo version of this worth checkin out as
well....

This week I will work on some Chromatic for my trip to Japan with Drummer
Bernard Purdie and Bassist Chuck Rainey.

I will play chromatic on Deacon Blues & Home at last (Steely Dan), Until You
come Back to me (Aretha) and Alfie...

Diatonic on the other half of the tunes....I may try some efx on the Steely
songs to beef up the horn pads I'll be playin'...

Happy groovin'
Rob P

On 10/26/08 10:54 AM, "jim.alciere@xxxxxxxxx" <jim.alciere@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tried playing along with Hendrix the other day. I could play along with All
> Along the Watch Tower hitting most of the melody notes in 5th but I couldn't
> get the feel, the soul. Got closer in 3rd, but I don't have the
> fluidity--also third has the sixth note sharped, and Hendrix plays it
> natural. More practice I guess. The end is impossible of course, he's reach
> a point where the notes just turn into this sound.
>
> Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) lays out nicely in 2nd, but the riff has a
> clear flatted third note so your bending has to be spot on. Then again,
> there's that wall of emotion and crazy noises where I just have to shake my
> head.
>
> I think Hendrix tuned his guitar down half a step, which is my excuse for
> why I sounded out of tune.
>
> Worked a little trying to play along with Maceo Parker on Live From the
> Planet Groove--I don't have a good ear for keys--I'm guessing they play in
> flat keys but I'm not sure. I could sort of fake some of the riffs playing
> major pentatonic scales but of course it's a horn section and they float
> into these gorgeous harmonies. They're much much better than I am with
> rhythm, and when they solo it's just so beautiful I have no idea where to
> find that on the harp.
>
> And with Tito Puente--I give up. No a clue. Makes wish I could dance though.

All the best,
Rob Paparozzi

email:
chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rob¹s My Space (check for upcoming Gigs!)
http://www.myspace.com/hudsonriverrats

Rob¹s Session Sites:
http://www.esession.com
http://www.sessionplayers.com