[Harp-L] trying to expand the repetoire--warning rambling ahead

Tried playing along with Hendrix the other day. I could play along with All
Along the Watch Tower hitting most of the melody notes in 5th but I couldn't
get the feel, the soul. Got closer in 3rd, but I don't have the
fluidity--also third has the sixth note sharped, and Hendrix plays it
natural. More practice I guess. The end is impossible of course, he's reach
a point where the notes just turn into this sound.

Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) lays out nicely in 2nd, but the riff has a
clear flatted third note so your bending has to be spot on. Then again,
there's that wall of emotion and crazy noises where I just have to shake my
head.

I think Hendrix tuned his guitar down half a step, which is my excuse for
why I sounded out of tune.

Worked a little trying to play along with Maceo Parker on Live From the
Planet Groove--I don't have a good ear for keys--I'm guessing they play in
flat keys but I'm not sure. I could sort of fake some of the riffs playing
major pentatonic scales but of course it's a horn section and they float
into these gorgeous harmonies. They're much much better than I am with
rhythm, and when they solo it's just so beautiful I have no idea where to
find that on the harp.

And with Tito Puente--I give up. No a clue. Makes wish I could dance though.

--
Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com