Re: [Harp-L] personal epiphany, etc.

Mick,
I love the Lester Young story !

Mae West said:
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."

One
of my favorite jazz stories, if I can recall it correctly, involved the
package jazz jam session shows that Norman Granz used to send out touring:
Jazz at the Philharmonic. Basically, a series of amiable cutting sessions
where jazz poll winners would play long solos over standards for big
audiences. Trying to top the other guys onstage. At one of these events
backstage a young horn player was warming up and trying to get psyched
before hitting the stage. He loudly blew all sorts of exercises and
complicated song heads at breakneck speeds. At one point, he made the
mistake of sticking the bell of his horn in the face of the great tenor
saxophonist, Lester Young, and blowing furiously. Perhaps expecting to get
complimented or attempting to intimidate the old man. Lester calmly
listened and told the guy something like; "Yeah, cool, baby. But can you
tell me a story?".