[Harp-L] Sounds like harmonica.

I have been following with interest this thread. I am from South America ( live in Canada now) so I did not grow up listening to  a lot of harmonica, especially in the blues context. When I recently " discovered " the harmonica it was those "harmonicky" sounds that totally captivated me. Fell in love with it. Now I see that might not be a good thing after all, LOL . Spent months of daily practice of those deep bends, second position etc. But hey, I love it.
Anyways, I have question though . Why is it that most of the exceptional players that have been mentioned, the players that are taking the harmonica into classical music, jazz ,etc play for the most part the traditional German Richter tuning ? It seems to me that this tuning is not conducive to  getting away from those harmonicky sounds.

daniel