[Harp-L] Re: "Sounds like Harmonica"

This is indeed an interesting topic. I personally enjoy the sound of the harmonica when it is played well. On the other hand, I pretty much hate the sound of my own playing and have tried (so far with little success) to sound different than I do now.

My first-ever "harmonica concert" was Howard Levy's Concerto for Diatonic; he was playing with the Nashville Chamber Orchestra. (Incidentally, this was where I first met Jason Ricci.) After the concert, I spoke with Howard and told him how much I admired the sound of his playing. He made the instrument do things I'd never heard before, and yet he still let the unique properties of the instrument shine through. The difference between Howard and a lowly player like me is that he can pick and choose which aspects of the harmonica to highlight, allowing the positive to be heard and diminishing the negative things associated with that "harmonica sound".

Jonathan Metts
Prairie Dog PR
Ph: 205.435.0991
pr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx / prairiedogpr@xxxxxxxxx