Re: [Harp-L] RE: Beginner with harmonica quality problems!

Ryan,

The major harmonica manufacturers, and some small ones, do produce good
harps. Right out of the box. Perfect? Nothing is perfect for everyone.
My recommendation for a beginner is buy a decent out of the box harp.
($20-$40 range. Hohner, Suzuki, Seydel, Hering, Bushman, Lee Oskar,
Bends...)
No cheapie, no custom.
Why? The cheap harps can quickly frustrate a serious player, no matter the
skill level. They are often leaky and inconsistent.  A custom harp may be
too responsive. A good, stock harmonica will be airtight enough to be
responsive and consistent enough to allow a player to concentrate on
technique.
An interesting note regarding the discussion of custom harmonicas on this
list: many have stated that a good customizer will speak to their new
customers to ascertain the players needs prior to building a harp. A
beginner will not usually know what he/she wants until that appellation no
longer applies.

 The exception to all this is a beginner with an instructor or one who is
unusually adept at gleaning content from the plethora of sources now
available.

My two cents, for what it is worth.