Re: [Harp-L] FW: Christelle's Summertime - A Question

To try to interpret a piece of music to encompass what the composer had in
mind is, of course, valid. I believe it is also valid to try to transform
the composition to something else. Going back in history - according to the
choral director I used to sing for - Martin Luther asked why the Devil
should have all the good songs and allowed as to how popular music could be
transformed to religious music (not that the two are necessarily mutually
exclusive in any given instance) and Bach, a Lutheran, had no qualms about
using popular themes in his chorales. Transformations of any kind are valid
as far as I'm concerned. The more the merrier. Coltrane's "Favorite Things"
is a far cry from its origin in The Sound of Music, but it's a classic in
its own right.

-- Barts