[Harp-L] FW: Christelle's Summertime - A Question

  _____

From: Bill Kumpe [mailto:okbizlaw@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2008 6:00 AM
To: 'harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: Christelle's Summertime - A Question

There is no question that Christelle has an incredible gift.  And, there is
no question that her version of "Summertime" was a remarkable performance.
Not to my taste, but truly remarkable.  The best way I could summarize my
opinion would be to say that her interpretation of the Gershwin classic was
a lot more about her as a performer than the music.  "Summertime" was
written as light opera, sultry, slow, southern, dripping with a sense of
time and place.  Many interpretations of summertime, and not just
Christelle's, take it out the bayou and transplant it to Manhattan or Vegas.
But, does the performer owe the composer a duty to respect his intent for
his music?  Is any consideration due the sound the composer had in his head
when wrote the song?

Bill Kumpe (2)