Re: [Harp-L] Beginner with harmonica quality problems!

Ryan writes:
Hello,
I am pretty much a beginner. I messed around a little years ago, so I know
how to bend draw notes and that's about it. Anyhow, I've decided that I would
really like to give it a real go this time. I went out and purchased myself a
few Special 20' s in different keys to start out on. It seems that all 3
harps I purchased have some "issues" right out of the box. I tried my hand at
gapping one of them (following videos on YouTube), and now It's even worse! I
know I am just a beginner, but I also know when something doesn't feel right
with the harp. Do you think I should buy a DVD and learn how to set up a harp?
Buy a custom harp (or maybe a Marine Band Deluxe)? Or just deal with what I
get out of the box until I have progressed? On a side note... every harp
player I dig, plays Marine Bands. I got myself Special 20's to learn on, but know
that I'll probably end up switching to the MB down the road. In knowing
this, should I just start out playing the MB?

Does anyone play "out of the box" harps anymore?

Thanks,
-Ryan
Hi Ryan,

Well I kinda hate to bring this up because it's probably not what you want to hear, but:

I've been a fulltime professional diatonic player for 40 years, and play only Special 20s right out of the box. Although there was a time 20 years ago or so when the quality control was a bit spotty, for the last 15 years I've found them to be in tune, properly gapped and fully playable 99% of the time. (OBers might want to tweak them, but that's not a technique I use.) It would be extremely rare to purchase three of them, all of them having "issues." Which leads me to wonder if perhaps the problem might be more related to technique?

Having not heard you, I'm flying blind here... and it may not apply to you, but many beginners have a tendency to sort-of accidentally (and only partially) choke or bend the draw notes when they're not meaning to (esp hole 2 draw,) either through incorrect embouchure, angle of attack, plain exuberance, etc. This can lead one to an erroneous conclusion that the harp is unresponsive, sour, or out-of-tune, when in fact it's fine....

While it's theoretically possible to get three lemons in a row, I'd say it's mighty doubtful. If you have a teacher or expert player living near you, (and assuming it's somebody who doesn't smoke cigars, eat onions for breakfast or have Bubonic Plague <g>,) you might want to let them take a stab at your harps. The problem may not be the harps at all?

cheers and best of luck,
Tom Ball
http://www.tomball.us