Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica within a larger Musical Framework was RE:Summertime

On Oct 21, 2008, at 12:41 AM, Rick Dempster wrote:

Yeah, but it is a blues, in form at least, surely?

Straight no Chaser? Hmm, you would know better than I. I never thought of it that way. It DOES have a head, but I don't think it ever goes back, so it's not progressive. It doesn't go so far out to the Canis Majoris galaxy that it can't return, so I don't think it's modern.
Yeah, as I run the beat in my head, i guess you're right. The beat is sorta like Duke's Place.

Plenty of 'bop', 'modern' and 'progressive' jazz can still be blues.

That's true. We bluesify a few tunes, but I never thought of them as traditional blues. None of our stuff is very slow.

I was listening to 'Coltrane plays the blues' just a couple of days ago. It ain't 'blues' like Sonny Boy at al, but it's still in blues form (12, 8, 16 bars with the main gravitational points (ie I IV & V) still perceptible.

OH, I see what you mean. Yeah, I never thought of Coltrane as a blues player. I think the only tune we do by him is Afro Blue.

RD