Re: [Harp-L] Hunting for a bucket of ice in the Summertime

Dave;
           I thought we were looking for a word that described licks, phrases etc. that were suggested by the instrument rather than the imagination of the player: ie chestnuts, cliches etc.  which is what Iceman was trying to imply by his ghastly invention: 'Harmonicaeee' (which suggests more to me the response by a not inconsiderable number of persons upon hearing the thing played:"Harmonica?!Eeeeeeeeeeeee!!")
            'Harply' has poetic resonances of 'shapely', 'comely' (combly?) which suggests something elegant and admirable (homely? ....ah!)
           Your response to the exercise I set you reflects this word's most obvious application: admiration & praise.
           Good word, but not the right one here, I think.
           Anyway, what is an American doing inventing new adverbs? You lot have been largely instrumental in expurgating them from the language.
           If it's going to be 'harp' rather than 'harmonica', then, for the use of which Ice & Buddhah have recently had need, I think 'Harpish' the better one, resonating 'Irish',' Scottish', 'Flemish', 'Spanish', etc.; in other words, something that is defined by it's origin, birth etc.
           By the way Dave, what do you write ? (perhaps you better answer that one 'offlist' before this turns into 'literature-L')
Cheers,
RD

>>> David Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 21/10/2008 11:43 >>>
Adjective: Jason Ricci is very skilled in the harply arts.

Adverb: Man that is some harply playing!

Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com