Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica within a larger Musical Framework was RE:Summertime

You could have played him 'Straight no chaser', Joe; that's blues isn't it? Or is it 'A blues', but not 'blues'?
RD

>>> Joe and Cass Leone <leone@xxxxxxxx> 21/10/2008 12:31 >>>

> Iceman:
> 	You wrote:

> This was one factor in the divisiveness between the two camps.

Story #57 The 'famous' devisiveness. (presumably referring to the
diatonic/chromatic camps.)

I think the perceived devisiveness is more a matter of genre than the
actual harmonicas themselves.

The chromo players seem to average older vintage and seem to prefer
musics from the big band pop era & genre (i.e. the 'Cats'). Such as
in: "I started playing chord after I heard Al Fiore's solo on Peg of
My Heart". Or: "I started playing harmonica after seeing Larry Adler
in a short subject at the movies". Or: (In MY case) "I started
playing after hearing Blackie Schackner at the Roxy theater in N. Y."

The diatonic players seem to be of a younger vintage, as blues has
these periodic resurgences and right now, we are IN one. I find this
amusing in that blues are way older than big band pop. In any case,
what you may hear is: "I knew I had to play blues after hearing
Little Walter get THAT sound on the 5-7 draw". Or, "You ain't nobody
unless you play blues". Or, "Kim Wilson (story #33) RULES".

Saturday night, this guy comes up and says "I sure would like to hear
some blues. Don't you guys know any blues?" Apparently, he didn't see
the placard outside that read... Jazz...Sat nite...the Cafe's. I
explained that Friday was country, Saturday was jazz and Sunday was
blues. He didn't want to WAIT till Sunday.

smo-joe