Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica within a larger Musical Framework was RE: Summertime

Iceman:
	You wrote:

This was one factor in the divisiveness between the two camps.

Story #57 The 'famous' devisiveness. (presumably referring to the diatonic/chromatic camps.)

I think the perceived devisiveness is more a matter of genre than the actual harmonicas themselves.

The chromo players seem to average older vintage and seem to prefer musics from the big band pop era & genre (i.e. the 'Cats'). Such as in: "I started playing chord after I heard Al Fiore's solo on Peg of My Heart". Or: "I started playing harmonica after seeing Larry Adler in a short subject at the movies". Or: (In MY case) "I started playing after hearing Blackie Schackner at the Roxy theater in N. Y."

The diatonic players seem to be of a younger vintage, as blues has these periodic resurgences and right now, we are IN one. I find this amusing in that blues are way older than big band pop. In any case, what you may hear is: "I knew I had to play blues after hearing Little Walter get THAT sound on the 5-7 draw". Or, "You ain't nobody unless you play blues". Or, "Kim Wilson (story #33) RULES".

Saturday night, this guy comes up and says "I sure would like to hear some blues. Don't you guys know any blues?" Apparently, he didn't see the placard outside that read... Jazz...Sat nite...the Cafe's. I explained that Friday was country, Saturday was jazz and Sunday was blues. He didn't want to WAIT till Sunday.

smo-joe