[Harp-L] Harmonica within a larger Musical Framework was RE: Summertime

Iceman:
	You wrote:

This goes hand in hand with the disappointment chrom players have when they hear diatonic doing it's "thang" and ignoring the chord changes - even happens in blues where you don't have a lot of changes (example - cross harp, playing 3 hole inhale on the IV chord). This was one factor in the divisiveness between the two camps.

Maybe I'm missing something since I have no formal music training, but in second position, isn't the 3 draw bent down a half step the flat 7th of the IV chord? Accordingly, why wouldn't this be a note that is complimentary to the IV chord in blues material? Since this same note is also the flat 3d of the I chord, I've always thought of it as a note that is complementary to both of those chords and which can be used as a good transition note to lean on in a blues tune since it is a blue note in both the I chord and the IV chord. However, the same would not be true for 3 draw unbent, if that is what you are referring to. Although i have no formal music training, i am not oblivious to chord changes, even in blues, so i am a little perplexed by your above quoted statement. Please enlighten me.

JP