Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica within a larger Musical Framework was RE:Summertime

Yes, Iceman,
Most of what I've heard from harmonica players has been, get through the
"head" of the tune in some fashion and then let me show my stuff - speed
patterns, use of OB's, big vibrato, wah wah, hands waving in the air, etc.
Unfortunately, perhaps because of the lack of total musical education and immersion,
these solos can even move away from the chord changes, sometimes ignoring them
in favor of harmonicaeee. (Since I clearly hear chord changes and am always
striving to understand note choices within this framework, a lot of the
offerings by harmonica players on these types of tunes starts to sound slightly
embarrassing and even a bit illiterate to my educated musical ears).

I see it as a loss of context.
The improvisation should relate to the "song".

You should have something to say, that relates to
the "song".

That means listening to your bandmates and the "song"
that you are playing together.

Dan