Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica within a larger Musical Framework

I consider a variety of harps essential to the well- stocked harp box. This
includes diatonics in all keys, country tuned harps, minor keys, Melody Maker
as well chromes in 10s, 12, 16s and several keys and special tunings like C7
and G7.

For the sake of argument -- Chromatic players are more likely to read music
than diatonic. Why this is, I don't really know. With reading music comes an
understanding of how mucic works.

This is not to say that if you don't read music, you don't understand music
theory. But some basic reading skills go a long way to understanding   music.

There are a number of possibilities:
1. Some see the chrome as more advanced because it has "all" with touch of
button.
2. Consequently, they see it as less limiting.
3. Possible but feasible. How many times can you try to play a song on a
diatonic on to find you need several bends in a row. But trying it on chrome works
out (even Hohner Slider Harp).
4. The range of 10 holes is too short -- you need 4 octaves to play all the
notes (even with overblows and bends).

Blues

And you're right about the key of C for chromatic players -- Hohner repair
techs report the reeds needed to play in the key of C are those most often
replaced (esp. on the chord harmonica).

The counterpoint to why all chromatic players play in the key of C is the
same reason all diatonic players always play the same stuff in second position.
FYI: Keys of G and F would be almost as easy on chrome as they require one
button push for F# and Bb respectively.