To: <jack.wartell@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2008 7:29 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] That COLTRANE Thing.......

I agree that Jason is on a similar path. While this is an interesting
direction (sheets of sound) to take music, it doesn't hold my interest after a few
minutes - it exhausts my ear. I prefer musical line arching through chord
changes of floating over sustained modes. Perhaps the difference might be that I
like to hear a succinct sentence that enlightens me rather than someone using
all the words they can come up with as fast as they can to show all the
words that might possibly be used as choices to make a statement, or to show how
many fast patterns and licks they practice over and over.

Miles Davis would hire saxophonists that used LOTS of notes in order to set
up a strong contrast to his own style of playing sparsely with succinct ideas.
One of his younger players, during Mile's last electric phase, asked him why
do you want me to play so many notes and Miles responded that the audience
liked to watch the visual of the saxophone with fingers flying.

The Iceman