[Harp-L] What video format to use?

Well, I finally uploaded a video to YouTube. For what it's worth, it's under Blind Dog Willie. My question is,
 I originally only had a DVD of it. Excellent picture quality. But when somebody encoded it for me so I could upload it, they compressed the beejeebus out of it ( divx ). Now it does'nt look very good. What program/software could I use to make it DVD quaility? The size of the song originally was 306MB.
  Thanks for any and all help!   Brian