[Harp-L] piccolo harmonica (was 2nd position only useful in blues?)

Smo-joe wrote, re Charlie McCoy:
Another thing he does (and I do  too) is to use Piccolo harps. There  are tunes where you might want to go  to a higher octave but RETAIN the bendability and texture of the harps  lower octave but you want to
be an octave HIGHER. The piccolo allows  that.
As far as I know, I am not aware of anyone else using  Piccolo harps.  (btw, the vest pocket harp is the same size and tuning as  the Piccolo but is in the same octave setup as the standard  Richters).

  I don't understand that last sentence, re "the same octave  setup".  I've owned a couple of old Vest Pocket Harps, back when they were  made in various keys, whereas, if i remember correctly, nowadays they are only  made in a very limited amount of keys.  They were diminutive versions  of standard richter diatonic harps, but tuned one octave  higher.
   What is a piccolo harp, the exact same as a Vest Pocket harp,  a smaller version of a standard diatonic harp but tuned an octave  higher?  And are they available in all keys?
Ron

**************New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination.  Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out!      (http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000001)