Re: [Harp-L] Re: Creating solid notes through bending techniques

The motions you describe could be sympathetic. When you narrow the airflow, the speeding up of air in the narrow passage creates suction in the bordering areas, and this might possibly explain the sensation of muscle constriction in the throat.

I just went outside and tried bending Draw 1 and 2 on a low D harp (XB-40). I found that my Adam's apple and the entire surrounding area did not move up or down, even when I bent Hole 1 down two semitones (remember, XB-40). However, they did move INward, as if pulled by suction.

It would be helpful to have input from someone who is knowledgeable in vocal tract and respiratory anatomy. Can anyone trained in these areas inform us as to whether any airflow constriction points are available to players other than:

- tongue against uvula (soft palate)

- closing of the glottal folds?

If these are the only two, my money's on the uvula as the sole bend activator.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa